Wednesday 9 May 2007

Journey of a newbie - starting point

So here we go. Hello Blogsphere......................

I thought about writing many a blog, in fact I’ve got a couple going at the moment but I wanted to make this not just about my online marketing adventures but stuff that i'm actually interested as well, field hockey and music. You see I’m new to this Internet marketing lark. Previously I worked in advertising and corporate communications (very dull). I always thought internet marketing was for sweaty types who never saw the light of day. To date I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

Having studied marketing at university I was brought up on a stable diet of traditional marketing, brands, marketing plans, research, consumer insight and so on. Spending time in advertising fueled this mindset; brands are the only thing worth knowing on planet earth...so they'd have you believe. Therefore, by the time I’d served my apprenticeship at a big creative agency and gone all-corporate on the world, online marketers were sweaty after dark types who communicated with the outside world via web messenger and the likes. (I actually use messenger a lot, so not sure where that places me)

Ok, so I’ve changed my tune a little, actually a lot. My introduction to online marketing has so far been a fascinating and a rather tiring journey. Learning is tiring but when you're working and learning 8-10 hours, 5 days a week it kinda grinds you down. (boo flippin hoo)

One thing that I have noticed - everyone wants to be an expert and no two people seem to agree on the same thing! I mean sure Kotler and his chums had their critics but god there were many followers. Online marketing iseems to be strewn with so called 'professionals', 'experts', and 'web guru's'. I guess it's a big cake and everyone wants his or her own little bit.

As I'm just about to hit the publish button a thought runs through my head - will anyone read my blog. Probably not, well maybe someone, my girlfriend hopefully, maybe my mum and dad also.

I'm not holding my breathe.